Thursday, May 5, 2011

Family Time!!


I am one lucky YAV. I was just graced with a visit from my family--10 days with Mom, Susie, Nathan and Hanna. It doesn't get any better than that!

We were VERY busy. They flew into Incheon Airport, and then we stayed for 3 days in Seoul. We went to temples, palaces, shrines, shopping districts, the War Memorial, huge markets, and some tasty restaurants. Susie and I celebrated our 25th birthday together in Seoul.
Susie with her first Korean meal.

Mom and Susie and Gyeongbuk Palace.
Sus and Hanna at Cheonggycheon stream in Seoul.

At the War Memorial of Korea.
Mom with National Treasure #2 in Tapgol Park, Seoul

From Seoul, we bussed to Seoraksan, one of the highest, most popular, and most beautiful mountain areas in Seoul. It was truly stunning. We did several hikes, saw a temple, went up the cable car, and saw waterfalls and caves. Truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever experienced, and because it is still quite early in the season, we almost had the park to ourselves.


We then came back to Daejeon and I was pleased to be able to show my family my work centers, my house, the Hannam University campus, and my friends. Susie, Hanna and I went to a jimjillbang--one of the Korean spas--where I treated Hanna and Susie to a vicious scrub-down by a Korean lady in her underwear. We visited the art museums, downtown area, and arboretum.

A Korean lunch with the family, Simon, Haejung, and Katie.

At my work, Seomna Center, with one of the teachers.

At the Daejeon arboretum, in the rain.

Finally, we spent a few days in Busan on the southeast Korean coast. We checked out the humongous department store, ate a picnic at the water's edge, witnessed a Korean drumming performance, went to the UN Memorial Cemetery, oogled some fish at Jagalchi market--Korea's largest fish market--and attended a baseball game at "Korea's Mecca for baseball."
Sus at the ballgame.

Family, thanks for coming! What a great time. Can't wait to see you again in a little under 3 months!

I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family, he's rich. ~Dan Wilcox and Thad Mumford, "Identity Crisis," M*A*S*H


1 comment:

  1. We couldn't have asked for a better tour guide! Awesome with the language and the food recommendations and so much fun to be around even as we stressed her out. I have spent a good portion of my trip recounting time mentioning how proud of my sister-in-law I am for exploring a country on her own and learning a (difficult) language in only 7 months.

    ReplyDelete